Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bigness

Being big is annoying and humiliating. Let me count the ways....

Because my hips are wide, I tend to bump into things. Often, this result in tearing my clothing. :( Yesterday I was wearing my lovely pair of cocoa brown linen crops. LINEN. THE GOOD STUFF. A button on the pocket flat caught on the latch plate of my office door and got ripped off, leaving a tear in the side of the pants. This would not have happened if I didn't have hips like Marie Antoinette's panniers. See also: two day old jeans and corner of kitchen counter (also resulting in damage to the counter), rivets on seam of nice khakis.

Having a belly and hips makes it difficult to slip through small spaces. In certain classrooms at the school I go to, the desks are long, narrow things that seat 4 people. Having to squeeze between the people already seated is awful. I say, "Excuse me..." and they scoot in....but I need them to scoot in more. The skinnys in the class slip effortlessly down the row.

People think you're a slob when you're fat, and part of it is true. Clothes do not stay un-rumpled no matter how you iron. Everything creases when you sit down, mashed into the crevices of blubber. Also, a lot of shirts get stains on the chest because my ridiculous huge chest lies on top of my ridiculous huge gut and when I eat or drink, things tend to get on them. I love having to wear shirts that have that ever-so-slight mark from where I washed it in hopes of the stain coming out and it ALMOST did, but not quite.

Finally, being fat makes you invisible. There is a secret sorority of the thin girls, the conventionally beautiful girls, that I cannot get into. No matter how funny, smart, or smartly dressed I am, they will never bring me into their circle. They'll be nice to my face, but I do not get invited to the bars, clubs, parties, concerts, etc.

I will end this. I'm tired of it. I'm missing out on life, trapped in this gelatinous mound of flesh. I want to peel it off.

Tempest- I think they realize that feasting on 17 bananas in addition to the "points" they want you to eat would cause some blood sugar issues, to say the least. They just realize that a lot of people eat next to no fruits/veggies at all, so adding fruit in as a freebie makes it more attractive. Personally, I don't know how people can not eat fruit. It is one thing I have to be careful-ish around, especially considering that I do, actually, have some blood sugar problems. Still, fruit isn't something I sit down and eat myself silly on. Well, watermelon is but I don't keep that in the house.

Actually, the WW thing has been going pretty well. I've missed a couple of days of exercise, but not too many. I've stayed weeeeeell below my points. I know I said I was shooting for three under, but most days I end up 5 or more under. My bloat from last weekend is completely gone. :)

1 comment:

  1. I had more OCD-like tendencies when I was younger, and any type of produce actually freaked me out because you bought it and it was good but then all of a sudden it was rotten, and you might get something that tasted nice or it might not really be ripe, and what's the deal with needing to wash it, etc, etc. So coupling that with the high cals and sugar of fruit at the time when things started, it got REALLY hard for me to eat fruit. I have it sometimes now (apples tend to last longer so they don't weird me out as much) but not all that much.

    Have you looked into South Beach or other low glycemic index diets? I say this from a health perspective, not and ED one. A low GI diet reduces the work it takes for your body to regulate blood sugar (and appetite). I have PCOS which is related to insulin resistance, so while my blood sugar isn't out of control, if I don't take care of myself I could end up down that road. My MD recommended South Beach to me because of that.

    ReplyDelete